Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Double the Crunch, Double the YUM!

Last night I decided to make a new recipe that I found on Pinterest. (if you haven’t looked at it before…..please..do us all a favor and go there. Warning: website may cause lack of sleep, other priorities to be pushed back, extreme hunger and or salivation, injury due to DIY projects attempted, and other various side effects)  This one is defiantly going in the recipe book and will be made again and again. It was a major hit! The roomies and the Sam loved it. I thought it was dynamite too (if I do say so myself).  I think this recipe would have turned out just a touch better if I had all the ingredients and / or used the correct ingredients.  However, remember that this bacon lover is on a budget and I don’t have all kinds of monies to throw at getting spices an’ all dat’. So, I’ve given you the real recipe below and then crossed out the ingredients to demonstrate what I actually used that turned out to be quite an adventure on the palate; one that I wouldn’t mind going on again:


6 center loin pork chops, well trimmed

Sift together for Pork Chops:
1 cup flour
2 tsp salt
2 one tsp black pepper
1 1/2 tbsp ground ginger
1 tbsp 1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground thyme
1 tsp ground sage
1 tbsp 1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Make an egg wash by whisking together:
2 eggs
4 tbsp water milk (it works better than water)

Season the pork chops with salt and pepper, then dip the chops in the flour and spice mixture. Dip the chop into the eggwash and then a final time into the flour and spice mix, pressing the mix into the chop to get good contact.

Heat a skillet on the stove with about a half inch of canola (who has canola oil??) oil olive oil covering the bottom. You will want to carefully regulate the temperature here so that the chops do not brown too quickly on the outside before they are fully cooked on the inside. I find just below medium heat works well. I use a burner setting of about 4 1/2 out of 10 on the dial and fry them gently for about 4 or 5 minutes per side until golden brown and crispy. Meanwhile, make the honey garlic sauce:

Drain on a wire rack on a plate with paper towels... who has a wire wrack!? really?! for a couple of minutes before dipping (twice or three times) the cooked chops into the Honey Garlic Sauce. Serve with noodles or rice couscous (cus its awesome...duh.)



Honey Garlic Sauce:
2 tbsp olive oil
3 – 4 cloves minced garlic tsp garlic powder

In a medium saucepan cook over medium heat to soften the garlic but do not let it brown. Then, add:

1 cup honey
¼ cup soy sauce teriyaki sauce (had it on hand already)
1 tsp ground black pepper


Simmer together for 5-10 minutes, remove from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes. Watch this carefully as it simmers because it can foam up over the pot very easily.


________________________________________________________________________


I served this with  a side of parmesean couscous. (which I love) and it was quite superb!


First time around: SUCCESS:

1 comment:

  1. I was one of the privileged few who got to partake in this explosion of deliciousness. I will say this: I would eat this at least 3 days a week for the remaining years of my life.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete